Dryer Vent Fire Prevention
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires start each year by the clothes dryer. When lint and debris build up in the dryer vent, a common fire hazard is created.
Signs That the Dryer Vent Needs Cleaning
According to ABC news, there are many signs that it is time to clean the dryer vent. Several of these signs include:
- Clothing does not dry completely after normal drying cycle.
- A musty odor is present in the clothing following the drying cycle.
- Clothing seems unusually hot to the touch after a complete drying cycle.
- Debris is present within the outside dryer vent opening.
- Large amounts of lint accumulate in the lint trap of the dryer.
Reduce the risk of a dryer vent fire by watching for these signs and regularly maintaining the dryer vent. Not only will the risk for a dryer vent fire be reduced, clothes will dry faster and smell better!
And remember, SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati is always here to help after fire damage!