Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Tips to Help You
After your home or business faces water damage, whether that be from unexpected leaks or flooding, SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati is ready to respond and ready to restore. While you wait for our SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati professionals to arrive, there are a few steps you can take before help arrives to minimize further damage.
Use the following tips below to guide you through cleaning up while you wait for assistance to arrive, and always remember to use caution because items damaged by water can become extremely heavy. Safety should always be your number one priority as well.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (513) 541-3200
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.