Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Safety Tips for Mold Cleanup
Have you found mold in your home? The SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati technicians are highly trained mold remediation specialists and it’s always best to let the professionals do the work. But what if you want to attempt to safely clean the moldy areas yourself? What should you wear?
It is important to avoid breathing in mold or mold spores. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers safety guidelines to handling mold in your home. In order to limit exposure to airborne mold, they recommend wearing an N-95 respirator during the cleaning process, which can be found at many hardware stores.
The EPA also suggests wearing long gloves that extend to the middle of the forearm. It is important to avoid touching mold or moldy items with your bare hands.
And finally, goggles that do not have ventilation holes are recommended. It is important to prevent getting mold or mold spores into your eyes.
While some minor surface mold issues can be handled effectively by the homeowner, it is best to have professional help with larger mold infestations. SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati has the specialized mold remediation equipment and the highly trained mold remediation technicians necessary to handle any size mold infestation. If you find a mold situation that is too much to handle on your own, contact us today!
SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati 513-541-3200
Helpful Tips for Cleaning Minor Surface Mold
Mold is a problem that many homeowners face and it is aggravating! Almost every home gets some form of mold at one time or another. Outside, mold turns up as dark spots on siding and it darkens wooden decks. On the inside, it blackens the grout lines in showers and discolors drywall.
Minor surface mold infestations, like those found on the grout lines in tiled showers, can be easily removed with regular household cleaning products. According to familyhandyman.com, with a mixture of ½ cup bleach, 1 quart water and a little detergent, these surface molds can be easily scrubbed away. The bleach in the mixture kills the mold and the detergent helps lift it off the surface so it can be rinsed away and won’t return as fast. As an alternative to the mixture, mildew cleaners can be purchased at local stores. If the mold doesn’t disappear after light scrubbing, reapply the cleaner, let it sit for a couple of minutes and then lightly scrub again. As a preventative measure, it is a good idea to seal the clean surfaces with a grout sealer when they are dry.
Even for simple cleaning, it is always important to protect yourself from contact with mold and bleach by wearing long sleeves, long pants, gloves and goggles.
While minor surface mold can most of the time be taken care of by homeowners, larger mold infestations can be much harder to handle. SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati has the specialized mold remediation equipment and the highly trained mold remediation technicians necessary to handle any size mold infestation. We proudly serve Forest Park, Mount Healthy, Greenhills, and other surrounding Cincinnati communities with our professional mold remediation services.
Merry Christmas from SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati!
During the holiday season, our thoughts turn gratefully to those that have helped make our accomplishments a reality. We understand that our success in the mold, water, and fire damage restoration industry would not be possible without teamwork. Our dedicated colleagues in the restoration industry, our great team of committed employees, and our trusting customers are all a crucial part of our successes. We truly appreciate the efforts of all those that we work with on a daily basis to help our customers in their times of need. We would like to take this time to say thank you for your continued loyalty and consideration throughout this past year. We sincerely wish that you find peace, joy, hope, and happiness today and in the new year ahead!
Merry Christmas from your friends at SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati!!
Fresh Exterior Paint Offers Functional Benefits
Are you looking for ways to update the look of your home and gain functional benefits as well? Painting your home’s exterior might be something to seriously consider. Not only is fresh exterior paint one of the most cost-effective home projects, it makes a home more pleasing aesthetically and has functional benefits as well.
Functional Benefits of Fresh Exterior Paint
- Protection against the elements: Rain, wind, snow, and intense sunlight can all be harsh on a home. Paint acts like a protective shield to the exterior surfaces and can even increase the life span of siding.
- Maintains structural integrity: Unprotected wood is susceptible to water damage which can lead to mold and mildew which in turn, can break down the structural integrity of the home.
- Better curb appeal: A home with a fresh coat of exterior paint can be attractive to a potential buyer. If a buyer likes the outside, there is a better chance he will like the inside.
- Identification of insect damage and prevention of termite damage: The painting process can uncover insect damage and infestations can be stopped.
So when is the best time of year to paint a home’s exterior? In order to ensure that you will get the most out of your new exterior paint, it is essential that the job is done in the most ideal conditions.
Ideal Conditions for Exterior Painting
- Outside temperatures: Paint manufacturers will usually recommend minimum temperatures for painting. Generally, a good guideline is that if you are comfortable without the heat or air conditioning, then it is a good time for painting. It is also best to paint in times with smaller temperature fluctuations. Big temperature swings from morning to night are not good when painting.
- Rain and humidity: It is important to remember that paint should only be applied to a dry surface. The painting surface can become moist either by direct contact with rain or snow or indirectly by humidity or dew in the air. Always plan your painting project for times when there is no rain in the forecast for the next couple of days and be sure to wait to start painting after a rain until everything is completely dry. Also take note of humidity levels, as too high or too low humidity will influence how the paint dries.
- Wind: High winds while painting or before the paint is completely dry will cause complications. Dust and other particle blown onto the wet paint surface with stick. Paint sprayers do not operate as effectively in windy conditions and ladders may be unstable.
- Sunlight: Direct sunlight on drying paint can cause it to dry too quickly, leading to cracking or peeling. It is best to plan your painting route around the shifting sun.
Mold: What is the difference between its colors?
When many people think of mold, they think of it as being black in color. But mold actually comes in a variety of different colors including white, green, yellow and even pink!
While many fear that black mold is toxic, white mold does not usually cause the same concerns. It can be found on about any type of surface. Attics, basement walls and exposed dirt in crawlspaces are all common areas where white mold can be found. It also can appear on food as it is going bad.
Green mold is very common and prefers cool to moderate environments. Due to this, it is commonly found on rotting refrigerated foods and breads.
Yellow mold can be very bright in color and is usually easy to spot. According to moldguide.net, this variety of mold can be dangerous. It should not be touched or inhaled and it should be removed as soon as possible.
Pink mold often develops on shower floors and the bottom of shower curtains because it thrives in moisture-rich environments. It is difficult to completely prevent pink mold in the bathroom and usually requires continual maintenance to control the issue.
Although mold comes in a variety of colors, all thrive in similar, moist environments. To control or prevent mold, be sure to ventilate damp areas and monitor pipes and other areas susceptible to leaking! If you suspect a mold issue at your property, call SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati. We are experts in mold testing and remediation! CLICK HERE to learn more or call (513) 541-3200!
MOLD: The Do's and Don'ts
Every mold situation is different and requires a unique solution. However, the general rules as to what to do and what not to do if you find or suspect there is mold in your home are basically the same. Mold spreads quickly and can cause health effects and damage to your home.
If you find visible mold or suspect there is mold in your home…
- DO stay out of the affected areas!
- DO turn off the HVAC system and fans!
- DO contact SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati at (513)541-3200 for mold remediation services!
- DON’T touch or disturb the mold!
- DON’T blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth!
- DON’T spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold!
The SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati technicians are experts in mold and mold growth. They have the training and expertise to remediate the mold in your property. So if you suspect you have a mold issue in your home, give us a call today! We are ready to help! (513)541-3200
Signs of Hidden Mold
Mold in a home isn’t always clearly visible to the eye or easy to find. But there are some warning signs to look out for that may indicate there is mold growth present.
A musty smell that is constantly present is an indicator that mold may be growing somewhere in the home. Mold can grow behind walls and under flooring and it is important to locate the source of the odor in order to prevent further spreading.
Water and Moisture Issues
Mold thrives in moist areas. If you have ever had any issues with water damage like flooding basements, leaky pipes, or condensation, it is possible that mold has started to develop. Discoloration or water stains on ceilings, walls, and floors are all signs of water issues and potential mold growth.
Some people have allergies to mold. If you are allergic to mold and notice that your allergies flare up when you are home and you feel better when you are away, this may be a sign that there is hidden mold in your home.
It is very important to address mold issues quickly because if not resolved, it can spread throughout a property very fast. If you suspect that your home has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati can inspect, assess and remediate your property.
MOLD: The Remediation Process
When a home suffers a water damage event, a mold problem can arise and spread quickly throughout the home. The SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati technicians are professionals in the mold remediation process and have been trained to properly resolve mold infestation. Special equipment and processes are used to handle the problem.
- Contact SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati at (513)541-3200: Upon receiving your call, we will collect information from you to determine what is needed to handle your project.
- Inspection and Assessment: Our technicians will inspect the property using professional detection equipment to determine mold and moisture levels.
- Mold Containment: Our technicians will use different containment procedures to prevent the mold from spreading.
- Air Filtration: Specialized equipment is used to capture mold spores from the air and prevent the mold from spreading during the remediation process.
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials: In some instances, it is necessary to remove mold-infested materials, like drywall or flooring, from the home. Anti-microbial agents are used to eliminate and prevent mold growth
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings: Our technicians thoroughly clean and sanitize the contents in the home affected by mold.
- Restoration: The structure and contents of the home may require repairs to return the property to preloss condition.
Mold damage is better handled by professionals that have the training and expertise to effectively handle the situation. If you suspect you have mold in your home or property, take the first step in the remediation process by giving us a call today!
SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati (513)541-3200
Merry Christmas from SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati
The holiday season is the perfect time to show appreciation for those that make our success possible and to offer our very best wishes for a prosperous future. We know that our accomplishments and achievements in the water, fire and mold damage restoration industry would not be possible without our hard working employees, dedicated colleagues in the restoration industry, and our trusting customers. We truly appreciate the efforts of all those that we work with day in and day out to help our customers in need. So we would like to say thank you for your continued loyalty and goodwill throughout the year. And our sincere wish is that you find peace, joy, hope and happiness today and in the new year ahead!
SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati
Mold vs Mildew: What is the Difference?
When it comes to mold and mildew, many often wonder, “What is the difference?” HGTV.com compares mold and mildew to siblings, stating that they have a few matching characteristics but they also have some striking differences.
As for similarities, they both strive in warm, moist areas and they both are able to grow on a multitude of surfaces. They are also both two types of fungi that no one is ever happy to find in their home!
Differences between mold and mildew can be seen in their appearance. Mold is usually fuzzy in appearance and can be various different colors, but it is most often black or green. Mildew, on the other hand, usually grows in a flat pattern and may appear powdery. It is usually white or gray in color. One interesting difference between mildew and mold is that there is no use for mildew. On the contrary, some molds are actually used in food production. For example, Penicillium is used in the production of cheese.
While mold and mildew definitely have differences, the methods to prevent mold and mildew in the home are very much the same. All areas of the home need to be kept dry and moisture-free. Humidity levels inside the home should be checked and controlled. Any leaks need to be repaired quickly and HVAC systems should be inspected regularly.
SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati specializes in mold testing and remediation. If you suspect mold is an issue in your home, give us a call today! (513) 541-3200
Did you know…SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati Offers Continuing Education Courses?
At times throughout the year, SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati offers Continuing Education courses. The courses are usually held at our Northwest Cincinnati location at 2115 Schappelle Lane, Forest Park, Ohio 45240.
Offered courses are both credit and non-credit courses and they are available to insurance agents, insurance adjusters and real estate professionals. The courses are designed to provide those in attendance with valuable information to allow them to better service their clients.
Some of the common course topics include fire damage restoration, understanding mold in the restoration industry, water damage restoration, and biohazard cleanup.
These Continuing Education Courses are offered periodically throughout the year. To find out more about upcoming Continuing Education courses or to register for a class, contact SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati at (513) 541-3200.
MOLD - Where does it hide?
Mold is a fungus that thrives in warm, damp and humid areas. It lives both indoors and outdoors and can spread quickly through a property.
Where does mold hide?
Mold thrives in moist areas. It can most commonly be found in places like showers and tubs, leaky sinks or pipes and basement walls or crawlspaces. But sometimes it hides in places you might never suspect! According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, or the underside of carpets and pads. Other possible hidden locations include areas inside walls around leaking pipes, the surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms), inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles (due to roof leaks).
If you discover mold in your home and need professional service, SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati has the specialized mold remediation equipment and the highly trained mold remediation technicians necessary to handle any size mold infestation.
Call Us Today for any Mold Remediation Services!
Happy Memorial Day from SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati & Happy Grilling Season!
Memorial Day is a day set aside to honor the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati would like to first take this opportunity to remember and pay tribute to those that so unselfishly gave their lives to provide us with the freedom we enjoy.
Unofficially, Memorial Day marks the beginning of the summer season. And with the summer season, comes family picnics and outdoor grilling. When raising the lid to your grill this season, you may be surprised at what you find hiding inside…MOLD!
Mold thrives in a moist environment with poor air circulation. And a covered grill is just that! If you find mold growing in your grill this spring, grillbilliesbarbecue.com offers several tips to remove the mold and prepare your grill for the grilling season.
How to Remove and Clean Mold from Your Grill:
- Throw away any charcoal and other materials leftover in the grill.
- Fire the grill up as hot as possible to burn off all grease and mold. (If you attempt to scrape it off or power wash it first you may inhale mold spores.)
- Let the grill cool and then scrape and scrub every surface with a brush or a pressure washer. Don’t forget to include the drip pan and grates.
- Wash everything down with soapy water and rinse thoroughly.
- Fire the grill up once again to burn off any mold, grease, and soap residue.
*NOTE: If you have a ceramic grill, DO NOT use degreaser or a pressure washer to clean. For ceramic, only use a plastic scraper and start a hot fire.
So as we enter the summer grilling season, be sure to inspect your grill for mold and take the necessary steps to clean it! Happy Memorial Day and Happy Grilling!
Prevent Mold in Your Home!
Most homeowners have concerns about mold and how to prevent it. Mold can grow anywhere, indoors or outdoors, and if not treated promptly, can spread very quickly. It is best to prevent mold before it ever becomes a problem.
Tips to Prevent Mold
The key to mold prevention is moisture control. The Mother Nature Network suggests several ways for homeowners to curb moisture indoors, and the mold that thrives on it:
- Identify problem areas in your home and correct them. Areas such as wet basements, water stained ceilings, or windows with condensation are examples of potential problem areas. Correcting these issues can prevent mold before it becomes a problem.
- Dry wet areas immediately. Mold needs moisture to grow. Don’t leave wet areas in your home. Remove wet carpets and furniture if they can’t be dried completely. Don’t leave wet items lying around the house. Always dry the walls and floors after showers or spills.
- Prevent moisture with proper ventilation. Make sure your home isn’t holding moisture inside by opening a winder or running an exhaust fan while cooking or showering.
- Equip your home with mold-resistant products. If building a new home or renovating your current home, always use mold-resistant products like mold-resistant drywall or Sheetrock, and mold inhibitors for paint.
- Monitor humidity indoors. Measure humidity in your home with a moisture meter and keep the indoor humidity levels between recommended levels.
- Direct water away from your home. Make sure the ground around your home is sloped so that water runs away from the home.
- Clean or repair roof gutters. Leaky roofs lead to moisture in the home.
- Improve air flow in your home. Increase air circulation in your home by opening doors between rooms and moving furniture away from walls. Let fresh air into your home.
- Keep mold off house plants. The moist soil in indoor plants is a perfect breeding ground for mold. Find ways to prevent mold from growing on your house plants.
If after following these tips you still find that you have a mold infestation in your home, SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati has the specialized mold remediation equipment and the highly trained mold remediation technicians necessary to handle any size mold infestation. Just give us a call!
What is that smell? Could that be MOLD?
Molds are fungi that can be found both indoors and outdoors and grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), mold can cause health effects in people with mold sensitivity.
When water invades your property, mold growth can begin in as little as 48 hours. A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting. If you suspect that you have a mold problem in your home or business, stay out of the affected area, turn off the HVAC system and fans, and contact SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati for mold remediation services. SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation effectively and in a timely manner.
Once you contact us, we’re dedicated to starting the remediation process quickly. This fast response lessens the mold damage, limits additional damage, and reduces the remediation cost.
So if you suspect there may be mold in your home or business...GIVE US A CALL!